Ride on Space Cowgirl: The Work Annals

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Classes... That's All

Ever go to one of those classes where the class diverges from the discussion of the day and never makes it back? Well, in my folklore and oral culture class, we read an article about feminism and folklore. Check it out if you have the time at here. Anyway, thinking back to the discussion we had always gets me giggling because for a while the men in the classroom were discussing whether or not mentioning feminism was empowering sexism. Finally, I had to raise my hand to try to add a woman's perspective to the mix. I really wish I had a tape recorder for class today it was that funny. Here are six or seven guys arguing over whether or not mentioning feminism would empower sexism.

My comment was that even though a school had a sign that said, "drug-free zone" it was implied that drugs were once there if not still there. The reason this sign is a good thing is that it is a start to help change the situation at this particular school. Well, after about five more minutes of this topic, Sara (pronounced "Sada") brought up Disney and the perpetuation of feminine subordination within the animated movies produced by Disney. Well, once I heard this, my neighbors and I began discussing some of what was going on in the class discussion (dominated by the men by the way... which I find hilarious). Finally, my professor turned to me, Ashlee and Hannah, calling us the "muskettes" and asked our opinion of what was going on. Hannah had a very good answer, and she pointed out how scary it was that this article hit so close to home for her as a woman. I agree which is why I added the link to the paper I had to read. If y'all decide you want to take the plunge and read the paper, let me know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home